From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:55:48 -0500
At 08:53 PM 11/13/2001, you wrote:
>We received many pieces of wallpaper from the house, as
>well. Layers of wallpaper were pasted onto one another and the house was
>left alone for some time after the last owner's death. As a result, much of
>the wallpaper is brittle and breaks easily. Most pieces are relatively
>small, but there are a few pieces about 2 feet in length. I am curious to
>hear your recommendations for storing the wallpaper

Chris, I can't cite you any literature on the subject, but I have just
fitted out a couple of 24" x 30" acid free textile storage boxes to store
and transport some 19th century samplers. I made trays of acid-free foam
core with cutouts at each end for lifting them. The spacers between are
made of archival poly foam rod from Gaylord. The foam is about 3/4" in
diameter, and I just hot-glued four inch pieces at intervals around the
bottom edges of the trays. This way they act both as "feet" and as spacers
to allow for stacking the samplers without putting any pressure on them.
They can be lifted into and out of the box without anyone having to handle
them directly. If you think this would be good for your purposes, I'd be
happy to send some photos and a supply list. You can fit six trays in one
box; the bottom one has no feet.
Anne, the Queen of Polyethylene