From:
"Feltus, Pamela" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:03:28 -0500
W magazine this month did a profile of Ms. Reynolds, talking about how she
is breathing fresh air into Washington society and fundraising and alot of
other fawning.

It brings up the subject of "her" exhibit and how horribly she was treated
(aren't we all crying for her now?). I can't remember the exact quote, but
she says something to the effect of "who do these curators think they are
wanting to determine content?" She's angry with the Smithsonian and says
that she has convinced Sallie Mae not to give a promised gift until hers is
accepted (anyone heard about this?). She also takes sole credit for the
Smithsonian's recent congressional budget problems- she says that Congress
has tightened scrutiny on the SI after seeing how they treated her offered
donation. Guess she's never heard of recession and war.

The article basically puts her in the role of the woman who had brought down
the Smithsonian single-handedly and acts like it's a good thing. I was
pretty disgusted by the whole thing and if I hadn't been read it in on an
airplane, I probably would have thrown the magazine out the window. However,
I do have the magazine at home, and if any wants the exact quotes I can
transcribe it tomorrow. As cute as the pictures of Ewan McGregor are in the
same issue, I don't recommend people buying it and supporting such articles.

If she has so much money and such definite ideas about exhibits, why doesn't
she start her own museum?

Pamela Feltus
Curator
National Museum of American Jewish Military History
1811 R Street NW, Washington DC 20009
202-265-6280 x201

www.nmajmh.org