From:
Wesley Creel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:36:41 -0600
Good Afternoon Alessandra,
(In 100 words....more or less)
A good manager:
1.)  Tells staff what to do when to do it (in priority order);
2.)  Lets staff figure-out how to do it (manager then learns to "live" with it);
3.)  Shares with staff as to why they are doing it;
4.)  Is the staff's primary cheerleader and coach;
5.)  Listens and responds to staff concerns with empathy;
6.)  Strives to maintain or enhance the staff's self esteem;
7.)  Asks for help in solving institutional problems;
8.)  Gives credit to staff when they have done well;
9.)  Follows the 12 points of the Scout Law; and
10.) Makes decisions carefully and communicates them ASAP, and keeps memos to one page, e-mails to less than 100 words (more or less)....and all meetings need an agenda and should be as short as possible.
I hope this helps,
Wesley Creel (an old Boy Scout)
Administrator of Programs and Interim Director of Museums
Pink Palace Family of Museums
Memphis, Tennessee
www.memphismuseums.org

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/27/02 08:47AM >>>
OK, here's a question: I am a few years out of school and have happily
progressed from good entry level positions to more advanced ones, where I
have also done well. However, I've never had to manage someone until now!

My question is, what are your tips for being a good manager, while still
getting out the work of  your department on time, with stellar quality?

Two things to know here: I am a bit of a perfectionist/control freak, so I
worry a lot of the time about whether something's being done properly (not
only whether i explained it correctly but also whether the person has the
motivation to do a good job) and second, I have been in situations in the
non-profit world where I had a nightmare boss who harassed me, belittled my
work, and generally left me so shaken (as a 24 year old woman) that I lost
all self confidence and considered leaving the field. Luckily, i left that
job and heard through the grapevine that after doing the same thing to
others, she was being investigated/reprimanded. I only wish at the time that
I was aware enough of my rights to bring a suit against her for harassment.
It's too late now, but I really wish I had.

I think there are far too many bad managers out there--how do I not turn into
one? what's your advice to make sure your department's work is stellar,
without my employee feeling like i'm breathing down their neck all the time?

I already mentor high school students in my rowing club, and that's so much
simpler; i can feed off their enthusiasm and give them guidance, while
letting them be free to take their own direction. But museum work counts
more, perhaps since i'm getting paid and am held responsible for another's
work. Besides, I feel like certain people take jobs in this field (and any
field) for prestige rather than because they love the work, and while I think
it's important to have a balanced life and not spend all one's time at the
office, I also want people to be committed to what they are doing.

OK. End of ramble. Please, let's discuss.

--A youngish person who is new to the field,
Alessandra Phillips