From:
Ellen B Cutler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 18:10:09 -0600
I read the contributions to this and have spent considerable time thinking
about it.  In general, I'd say I'm sympathetic to the concerns expressed by
Tom and John.

I, too, am dismayed by the "spam" quantity of items from Indigo, although
certainly I do occasionally encounter articles that are of interest.  No
often, but now and then.  And I have overwhelmed by the deluge when I have
been offline for whatever reason for a few days to a couple of weeks.

And I wonder what it looks like to lurkers and newbies to see a list
dominated by only a few names.

As for the job hunt.  I'm enormously sympathetic to those working to break
into and advance in the field.  And I've had some very interesting exchanges
with some of them.

Still -- it is a professional list intended to focus on issues that engage
professionals.  I'd be delighted to see work queries referred to a "mentor
and job-hunt" list and publications of interest referred to a "museum
publications" list.
I'd like to see more conversation about the specific challenges museum folk
encounter today and discussion of newsworthy events in the (specifically)
museum world.

I don't want to see this strand become polarized as a "pro-" or "anti-"
Indigo uproar -- but perhaps we should all think more carefully about the
relevance of our posts and imposition that we may make on mailboxes.

Ellen B. Cutler
LNB Associates: Writing, Editing and Research Services
Aberdeen, MD  21001