From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 21:25:58 -0800
I've been on and off this list since like 1996 (yeesh, that seems like a long
time) and I think it is a valuable resource for the newbies coming into the
museum field (if for nothing else than to burst their little bubbles of ever
hoping to work in museums. ;) I've also seen the "I need a job thread" come and
go about every 6 months - ironically timed around upcoming December and May
graduations.

While I'd hate to see the list go really hard-nosed about posting seeking jobs,
there are a hell of a lot of resources out there for job seekers, including my
now legendary "How to Get a Job in the Museum Field" list.

Why not put a link to a museum job FAQ in the initial welcome message that is
sent out when someone joins the list. Put it in bold with large blinky letters
so that people will read it and hopefully get some of the routine questions
answered. Sure there will be those who don't read and still post, but at least
we can all then send them PRIVATE e-mail messages telling them to go read the
Museum-L FAQ.

I had always thought that trolling for jobs was no-no on this list, at least
for etiquette sake lest the list become filled with nothing but "Does anyone
have a job for me?" posts. (Not to mention that it just makes me want to smack
the sender as a cursary web-search on museum jobs will pull up any number of
sites on how to get a museum job in addition to job listings themselves.)

And as an aside to Indigo, how about a compromise on your messages? Why not
make a weekly mentor posting with all your potential mentorees in one post
instead of individual messages? You could even post a little summary list of
the people in your message like in the digest version so that potential mentors
can see if there is anyone interested in their field before they read the whole
post. Likewise, you could do a weekly news summary of articles related to
museums. Hopefully this will appease the people out there who'd rather grumble
on the list than hit the delete key.

Deb