From:
erin gerrity <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 14:32:49 -0400
I work at the Portland Museum in Louisville, KY. One modern section of
the building has air conditioning vents on the ceilings. These are
covered in mold on the grates and surrounding ceiling. Our first concern
was for the air circulation and allery issues. Then we realized that we
have a much bigger problem. A beaver skin top hat inside of a case has
powdery mildew all over it. Wooden frames of paintings also have this
green-gray powder on the backs of them. This all happened in a matter of
weeks, after years of no mildew problems! We are getting the ducts
cleaned, but how can we safely clean our artifacts?

Erin Gerrity
Visitor Services
Portland Museum, Louisville, KY