From:
Michael Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 11:44:06 -0700
    Despite the continuing insistence of those dissatisfied with the world
as it is, there really is a Reality out there beyond the confines of our
skulls. It is consistent, persistent, readily accessible to all, easy to
agree on as to its ultimate reality and usefulness. It doesn't disappear
when we turn our backs or stop believing in it. It continues independent of
human thought and perception.

    For some obscure reason hidden in the depths of the human psyche, this
is insufficient for some. This physical world of rocks, trees, sky and sun
are considered inadequate to the task of human wonder and desire. Our
overmediated society encourages a constant stream of new experiences,
marvels to fascinate, wonders to titillate, products to salivate. In an
allegedly materialist world, mere physical reality doesn't cut it.

    When pseudo-science takes the place of rational thought and analysis,
the people have no anchor against which to measure the claims of those who
would do them ill. Ghosts, demons, gods, effervescent chairs and illusory
concentration camps can all be brought to "life" to service the author's
purpose. Anchorless, we are free to drift from one viewpoint to another,
unable to distinguish the real from the simulacrum.

    This does not mean that we live in a sterile scientific world devoid of
warmth and intellectual stimulation. The Universe, if that's what it is, is
the most wonder-full, stimulating place in the... Universe. It's the only
one we have, as far as we know. And that is wonder enough.

    Michael