From:
Mackenzie Massman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 08:18:28 -0600
Milena,
While I cannot provide exact details about corporate curating at my
company, we have used consultants in the past.  We now have an in-house
curator and registrar; however, we also still use consultants on
occasion as subject matter experts or for special projects.

Based on past experience, there seem to be a couple of ways to figure
out a salary or rate:
Time-based rate (hourly, weekly, monthly based on the time needed for
the project)
Fee/Salary based on a percentage of the budget (generally between 5 and
20 percent)
A Retainer or Annual Salary with a specified number of hours per month
Flat fee contract
Billing by task

These may be used in combination and other terms may need to be
negotiated for expenses for transportation, equipment, parking, etc.
Salaries and fees are also adjusted based on the consultant's experience
or education.

For more exact information, I strongly recommend that you contact the
National Association of Corporate Art Managers (NACAM) based in New
York; NACAM is a non-profit promoting sound management for purchasing,
maintaining, and exhibiting art in corporate settings. The phone number
is 718-788-1425 and email is [log in to unmask]

I also recommend Susan Abbott's book "Corporate Art Consulting" (Art
World Press; 1994) for ethical guidelines on fee structures and MANY
other helpful tips.

I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Mackenzie Massman
Sprint Corporate Art Collection Registrar
Sprint World Headquarters Campus
6100 Sprint Parkway
Mailstop:  KSOPHK0110-1A320
Overland Park, KS 66251