From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 02:50:19 -0800
TYPE OF MENTOR SOUGHT:
Professionals in the fields of education and public
relations

AND/OR

Independent curators of contemporary art

AND/OR
Gallery or museum professionals who share my belief
that they should feel an obligation to liberate art
from its frequently lofty status and help to educate a
diverse audience

CONTACT JORDAN BY EMAIL AT:

MEET JORDAN CROSBY

My name is Jordan Crosby, and I graduated last spring
from Hamilton College in Clinton, New York with a BA
in art history.  My honors included Magna Cum Laude,
Phi Beta Kappa, as well as departmental high honors in
the history of art.  Most of my studies have focused
on the art of the twentieth century, and I am very
interested in contemporary photographers like Vik
Muniz and Thomas Demand.

My undergraduate research was centered on art
historical theory.  I took many philosophy and
sociology course, then narrowed in on the history of
the museum, and how it has shaped our divergent,
modern conceptions of art.

My thesis explores various ways that American museums
have attempted to democratize themselves, why they
have done this, and what it means for the public and
for contemporary art.

Today I am living just south of San Francisco in
Burlingame, California, and I work full time in the
city.  Although my present job is not art-based, my
internships have brought me to the Andy Warhol Museum,
Brookgreen Gardens, and the SFMOMA Rental Gallery.
Currently, I am applying to graduate schools in the
Bay area.  I plan on getting a degree in art history
with a focus on Museum Studies and Contemporary Art.

My long-term goals include developing a new model for
a contemporary art center that succeeds at engaging
its community to the fullest extent.  I believe that
art, when made relevant by museum professionals, can
have  profound effects on the quality of life and the
level of understanding of most people.

In the near future, I hope to work in educational
development and public relations for a mid-sized
museum in California.

I would love to meet any gallery or museum
professionals who share my belief that they should
feel an obligation to liberate art from its frequently
lofty status and help to educate a diverse audience.

I am particularly interested in meeting professionals
in the fields of education and public relations, or
independent curators of contemporary art.

Please feel free to contact me at your convenience
with any further questions or ideas.

Thanks so much for your time.

e-mail: [log in to unmask]
phone: 650.274.2622