From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 01:45:36 -0800
TYPE OF MENTOR SOUGHT:
Someone with a background in arts management

AND/OR

Someone in the San Francisco Bay Area who can help me
find a way to reclaim my heart and be gainfully
employed doing something I love

AND/OR

Someone who has been involved with public art
programs, working for an arts council, or a
community-based non-profit

CONTACT JENNY BY EMAIL AT:

MEET JENNY SMREKAR

I graduated from Oregon State University in 1999 with
a BA in art history. I began as a graphic design major
and then made the switch after realizing that a career
in graphic design is not what I wanted. I saw a
curator from the MoMA on the Today Show, promoting the
then-current Keith Haring exhibit that was about to
open and tour the US, and decided that curating was
going to be it for me!

I interned at the deYoung Museum in SF, with their
Museum Ambassadors program in the education
department. This experience began to steer me away
from curation...I love to lead and manage and I
realized I want to be more involved with "running the
show."

I also interned in the curatorial offices at the
Portland Art Museum in Oregon.

After graduation, I lived in Boston for almost two
years, working for a young eduation non-profit. This
is where I had my arts management epiphany!

I am at CMU and will graduate in May of 2003 with a
masters of arts management degree.

I'm still not sure what route I want to take...my big
museum dreams have given way to thoughts of going into
public art programs, working for an arts council or a
community-based non-profit. I would love to match
artists with money and projects and support art in
communities.

Ideally, I want to move back west. My heart is in SF,
but my checking account tells me otherwise. Oregon,
Colorado, and pretty much everywhere west is an option
for me.

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a job?  Try: