From:
Sharon Buford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:39:48 +0000
> >Chris Taylor-Atchison County Historical Society (KS) Museum
> >What exactly is the shocking part of this article?
>
>Chris,
>
>It is not the article but rather the comparison ... expensive overhaul
>options could be considered,... at one museum while at the same time...
>that other major museums be subjected to severe, if not
>devastating,>financial cuts.
>
>Regards,
>
>Mr. Nicola Linza, Founder and Managing Director

May I jump in?

Where is the budgeting voming from to fund this "overhaul", where are the
funds coming from in the Musuems whose budgets are being cut? Remember we
live in a country where the weath disparity is enormous - this is across the
board - private people and the ARTS. It is a fact of life.

What I find disturbing, is the quote  ...

Robert Ahmanson, a trustee whose family name is on one of the museum
buildings that might be razed, ... [said] "I would not object to a scheme
that involves tearing down [the Ahmanson Building]," he said. It might be "a
matter of dollars and cents," he added, noting that starting anew can be
cheaper than upgrading an old building.

Apprently, he and no one else on the board have read the studies that show
it is RARELY more affordable to demolish a builing and rebuild. My question
is this. If the project is done WITHOUT state or federal $$ than Section
106, does NOT come into play. Are any of these buildings HISTORIC, was there
any consideration in the program for the Achitects to incorporate historic
buildings, or were they told to start with a clean slate?

I have never been to LA, and know nothing of the building that are there,
but would be interested to know if any are historic???

Sharon Buford
Murray State Univ
Grad Student - Public History