From:
Carol Ely <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 19:07:55 -0500
> It is getting old to hear the same questions and answers about "how to get
> into the field" and very little about the juicy topics of museology and
> museum studies.  That was the excitment and good of this list in the past.
> Let's return it to a professional list where we can exchange
> meaningful conversation about our field.  >

There's nothing to stop any one of us from starting a "juicy" conversation
at any time, no matter how many requests for help or employment posts also
appear. What do you want to talk about? Say it! Surely you remember the
recent HEATED battle over the firefighter's memorial and the meaning of
memorials in the present age? We do talk about ideas. So start something!

And if the Indigo posts really bother you... my email program lets me block
by senders or headings or even words in a message. You can block out Indigo
Nights entirely, or just the headers "Opportunities" or "Mentor Me", and you
never need to know about it at all. In the meantime, she provides a valuable
service to those who need it. The list has always received requests about
how to get started in the field and what do to next, and now these are
finally being handled in a systematic and helpful way, without you and me
having to step in if we don't want to, and without insulting newbies. I see
a win-win situation here.

Carol Ely
Museum Consultant
Louisville