From:
Julia Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:17:37 +1100
Here at Port Arthur, a 19th century penal settlement, we have a long history
dating for the 1870s of ghost sightings. These have always formed a part of
the mythology of the site and for the past 12 years we have been running
Ghost Tours. These attract huge numbers and are the only thing we do that
actually makes money. Staff on site have mixed feelings about them. Some
feel that they compromise the historical integrity of the daytime tours,
which are based on historical research and understandings that do not
include the 'other world/s'. Others feel that these are important stories of
genuine encounters. Many others simply enjoy the opportunity for theatre
that they present. A few try to contextualise the sightings in late 19th
spiritualism etc but people really just want to be scared. Apart from
anything else, simply being out on site, surrounded by ruined prison
buildings and intact houses, is an unforgettable experience.

We record each 'sighting' that visitors tell us about, either on the tour or
afterwards, and often receive strange photos and videos which the sender is
convinced have recorded a manifestation from the spirit world. Some are
displayed. Although we do not encourage psychics to come, nor do we
discourage them of course, and many do, and give us the benefit of their
advice. All of this is recorded in our files.

It is a difficult area, and one that I admit I makes me personally
uncomfortable. I feel that these stories both attract attention from the
real stories here, of terrible suffering and tragedy for both bond and free,
and trivialise those experiences. But since, revealingly, this activity is
located firmly within Visitor Service as a commercial operation, I have no
influence over it and am quite grateful not to have to take it on!
cheers
Julia Clark
Manager, Interpretation & Collections
Port Arthur Historic Site