From:
Tamara Kubacki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 14:45:31 -0600
The stories of a building or place are just as important to the history of
the place as the facts.  The attachment people have to buildings usually
have to do with events and stories that are personal.  Ghost stories allow
people, whether visitors or employees, a means of familiarity and interest.

When I was an intern at the Shelburne Museum, I did some interviews with
security and interpreters about the ghosts and spirits they thought haunted
different buildings.  The people I interviewed felt very deeply about the
museum and the buildings in which they worked.  Some also felt very deeply
towards the ghost they believed was doing the hauntings.  Many of the people
I spoke with said that one of the ghosts was appearing because the museum
had, in their opinion, strayed from "Electra's vision."  Electra, of course,
was the museum's founder.  The ghosts were a way of relating to Electra and
the museum in a personal manner.

Thanks for allowing my two cents.
Tamara Kubacki