From:
"Feltus, Pamela" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 09:49:14 -0500
By popular demand, here are excerpts of the article on Catherine Reynolds
from this month's W.
I think the eloquence of the article speaks for itself, so I'll keep my
catty comments to myself. Plus, I'm a curator, so I can't have any ideas of
my own anyways (cause what kind of nutty person would let a curator initiate
an idea?)
Enjoy and forgive any typing goofs.

The Rap on Reynolds:
Armed with a bankroll, an attitude and illustrious friends, Catherine
Reynolds takes on Washington
by Susan Waters

        Surrounded by celebrities, politicians and local socialites gathered
in the grand foyer for Washington's most important social event of the year,
Catherine Reynolds is looking for trouble. [cut description of her dress and
how much money she gave the Kennedy Center] "Please, take our picture
together," she says, smiling broadly and reaching for [Martha] Stewart's
hand. "This one is for the Smithsonian."
        Reynold's reference is to the dustup surrounding her $38 million
donation to the Smithsonian Institution's Museum of American History,
announced last May (at a luncheon she paid for herself). The gift prompted
outrage because it came with strings very much attached: It was earmarked
for a new permanent exhibition, "The Spirit of America," focused on a list
of American achievers over which Reynolds would maintain considerable
influence (selecting a majority of the review committee who would oversee
the exhibit). Asked who might be among honorees, she tossed off a few names
including Martin Luther King Jr., Steven Spielberg, Dorothy Hamill and, yes,
Martha Stewart.
        "I wouldn't have touched the money with a 10-foot pole," says one
former director of a historical museum, voicing a reaction that was
widespread in the museum world. "As a director, what you want if for the
donor to say, 'We love the work you are doing and we want to support you.'
Program judgments have to be left to the museum curators."
        Reynolds admits she takes an unusually hands-on approach to giving.
"I don't believe you just write a check and think it solves the problem,"
she fired back with a smile. "I feel I have something to bring to the table.
Call that ego if you want. Whatever"
        [cut support from Tom Daschle]
        In light of the flap, Reynolds has diplomatically agreed to allow
museum curators to iniate ideas for the exhibition and to appoint review
committee members in collaboration with the museum. She still passes out
"Spirit of America" aviator jackets to friends, however. And as of now, the
exhibit is still on track for opening in 2004.
        [cut several pages of Reynolds worship and the background of her
husband's American Academy of Achievement]
        Although the Smithsonian project and the academy are not directly
related, several of the luminaries Reynolds said might turn up in the
exhibit have participated in the academy's 3-day conferences for gifted
students.
        [more cutting about her wedding dress]
        As for the Smithsonian, Reynolds believes the institution may have
hurt itself by mishandling the controversy. Reports of the curators' outrage
over the terms of her gift were leaked to the press, and while Smithsonian
Secretary Lawrence Small forcefully defended his own role, he never backed
hers. In support of Reynolds, Albert Lord, chairman of Sallie Mae, is
withholding a promised $20 million grant.
        "They've misbehaved so this is going to be difficult for them,"
Reynolds says, drawing attention to a report that the Bush administration is
considering large cuts in the Smithsonian's budget.

Pamela Feltus
Curator
National Museum of American Jewish Military History
1811 R Street NW, Washington DC 20009
202-265-6280 x201

www.nmajmh.org