From:
Sorceress <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 15:04:25 -0500
I have a question for you.   Maybe some of you have some suggestions.  I
have access to this antique magic stone litho collection from the Houdini
time period, including the famous (to practicing magicians) Houdini 3 sheet
portrait.  They range in size from window card to 8 sheet and are
linen-backed.  Most have been restored.

I want to put them in their proper place historically.  They are from the
late 19th and early 20th centuries, either from the Strobridge, Otis, or
Goes Litho Companies, for the most part.  Many of them have the featured
magician vanquishing the bothersome devils where 'good triumphs over evil'.
This is true advertising the way our great-grandparents knew it.  It's also
Americana, as a part of our advertising history, entertainment history
(which depicts showmanship and magic) and stone lithograph history, not to
mention the history of magic!

I'm stumped.  I'd like to 1) put them on tour, 2) make them into a CD with
narration on each piece that the educators could use however they see fit
and/or 3) make a website like the CD.

My background is in Education, not Museum.  I don't know how to do these
things I'm suggesting, but I'm planning on figuring it out or finding
someone who does! As far as education goes, I know this niche is uncovered,
except for small mention in various history of magic info.  I knew you all
would help.  You've known the answers to all my questions so far.  I realize
this particular collection of lithographs is extremely controversial and may
cause people to be upset.  However, they are a viable part of American
History, albeit small, and should have recognition.  Many of you have never
seen anything like this.  Many of you won't want to.  Many of you would just
sit and stare.  I don't believe it's morally correct to ignore them.  They
need acknowledgment of some sort.  But, what?

I need a spell.

Thank-you,

Andrea Silverman (Sorceress)

God Bless America