From:
Mike Csontos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 23:45:50 EST
In a message dated 11/27/2001 11:09:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  May I suggest that any who have a sincere need to
>  discuss this topic consider taking it to another forum
>  targeted for such discussions.  I have one you're
>  welcome to join, but please understand that sentiments
>  can run rather testy on this and other topics, and the
>  target population is--IMHO--quite bright and
>  politically savvy.

There is a problem with discussing political topics in a political newsgroup.
 There is usually very little sympathy with the point of view of an archivist
or historian.

I work with a small museum covering communications technology that is in the
final stages of obtaining a full charter by our state education department.
Questions often arise about what to do about political correctness.

For example, an objection made to the format of a similar museum was that it
did not give proper weighting to the contributions of the American Indian to
the development of electronic communication.  All we could think of was the
Navajo Talkers during W.W.II. What is the proper weighting for this in that
vast field?

Another problem is that many of the artifacts in this field were constructed
of materials like asbestos and mercury that are essentially banned from
public places even though people my age have handled them with impunity for
more than 60 years.  Should these be destroyed like the images in Afghanistan?

I, for one, am really interested in knowing how much others who are concerned
about preserving the past feel that politics and government policy should
influence what we present to the public.

Mike Csontos