From:
Christine Dwyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:01:01 -0500
This has been a sticky wicket for us, to say the least.  At one of our
historic houses we have "unexplainable incidents" (the skeptic in me resists
referring to them as hauntings). Shadows in human form, lights turning on
and off, doors closing, people feeling "watched," people feeling pinched,
objects tend to fall off shelves/walls and hit people on the head... All of
these have explanations (i.e. drafts can close doors, paintings can fall off
walls, etc), and I believe that the mind can play tricks on you --
especially when you're "expecting" something to happen.  Nevertheless...as
one who has had a goose egg from being hit on the head by a portrait of the
former owner, I vacillate just as Pamela does -- and sometimes get
"spooked!"

I discourage the staff from relating these to the public, for the same
reason other listers have -- they detract from the history of the place and
make a spectacle of house.  What's more, our house has a somewhat 'sad'
history, and to make entertainment out of these events is disrespectful to
the people who died there.

At best it's a mixed bag.  As a small, rural museum, it's frustrating (and
tempting) to know that promoting these events would likely increase our
attendance -- although not for the right reasons.  Some staff believe
wholeheartedly in the hauntings, others don't believe a word of it.  Some
staff/volunteers refuse to work alone at night or go to parts of the house
where the incidences occur alone.  I respect their fears, and so far,
working around it has not been a problem.

By the way, at the 2000 AALSH conference, there was a panel on this topic.
It was very interesting -- I can dig up specifics for anyone who requests
them.

Christine M. Dwyer, Director
Stanly County Museum & Historic Preservation Commission
245 East Main Street, Albemarle, NC 28001
Tel: 704/ 986-3777   Fax: 704/ 986-3778
www.co.stanly.nc.us/Departments/Museum/index.htm