From:
"Feltus, Pamela" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:20:18 -0500
The National Building Museum is supposed to be the most haunted building in
Washington and figures prominently in most DC ghost story books. However,
the museum is trying very hard to debunk myths about the building, ghostly
and others. The docents are told not to repeat the stories and they don't
feature into docent training or the exhibit about the building. When
visitors ask, I tell them they're stories. But when I'm there at night and
have to walk somewhere on my own, those stories make it a scary walk. I've
been telling the museum for years they should have a special Halloween
program to capitalize on the ghosts, but they're being responsible and
trying not to misinform the public. I like the idea of one of those ghost
chasing shows there too.

The staff here jokes that we're haunted- it helps account for strange
happenings. But noone's ever seen anything and we don't change normal
routines although when here alone, I'll avoid certain areas. And when a
researcher is annoying me, I'll tell the stories so they don't feel quite so
comfortable in the Archives...

Pamela Feltus
Curator
National Museum of American Jewish Military History
1811 R Street NW, Washington DC 20009
202-265-6280 x201

www.nmajmh.org