From:
Lori Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:59:06 -0600
Doesn't matter where you go Kathy....get a museum job of any kind where ever
one is available and you can afford to eat (maybe not eat red meat, but
vegetarianism is great for your health).  Take it from someone who had no
support of any kind from friends and family and ended up getting a "real
job": you get dependant on the money, then you get depressed because you
aren't doing what you enjoy, and eventually you get pissed enough to go do
the museum thing, no matter the cost, anyway.  Take the high road and get in
internship, temp job, guard position or whatever in any museum in any city
you can afford to live and work in.  Keep up the contacts, gain more skills
and eventually, it does pay off.  Further, just between you, me and the 3000
people on this list, my shrink put it best: "who the hell are these people
and what qualifications to they have to determine what job is 'real' or
not."   She has it right.  Next time someone tells you to get a real job,
tell them you are.  One that benefits society, makes a positive contribution
to humanity and will allow you to live a simple, rewarding lifestyle
uncluttered by materialistic dogma.

Best of luck to you.  And if all else fails, get a job at Starbucks (20
hours a week and you get med insurance and stock options :) ) and then go
volunteer until you can get another paid position.

Lori Allen,
Grad Student, UMSL