From:
"Ellen B. Cutler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 18:44:42 -0700
It's an irresistible topic, isn't it?

As someone who's grappled with this kind of language problem for about 30
years, as an academic, an art history instructor, and a museum educator, I'd
like to weigh in.

We art people have a terrible way of shoving "isms" around, and doing it in
the most inexact language possible.  I would like to suggest that
"contemporary art" (unlike Impressionism, for instance, or Modernism) should
never be capitalized.  Contemporary art is merely art of one's own time; it
is not a style, a philosophical outlook, or anything less than an expression
of a zeitgeist.  If our time is that of post-Modernism, just as the first
half of the century was the era of classical Modernism, then post-Modernism
is our contemporary art.

Henri Bergson was right -- there are no boundaries, just a clear sense of
past and an awareness of becoming.

So for the folks who are just entering the debate: I always advised my
students the visitors to my museum to try to touch what seems
contemporaneous in any work of art  (i.e. the universal) and not fret
overmuch about whether a given movement seems to match in moment  or in
substance.

Ellen B. Cutler
LNB Associates: Writing, Editing, Research Services
Aberdeen, MD  21001