From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 06:55:25 -0800
Reading this thread about the kids that didn't show up
and how frustrating that can be took me back to 96-97
when attached to someone who worked for the
Smithsonian's 150th as it traveled across the US.

Because bringing the Smithsonian's treasures to town
was such a big deal, each of you who has had
disappointments and frustrations with schools that
don't show up or don't behave might be helped to put
things into perspective by imagining what it was like
to have 20 or 30 school buses full of kids in all
manner of weather and all states of preparedness
converge on the exhibition.

I'm very empathetic to your plot (and encourage any
documents you share be stored on MuseDocs
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseDocs), but I can
remember many a hellacious story from my then much
beleagured sweetheart, who worked for the security
firm--Vance--responsible to guard the artifacts in the
various locales about having to traffic control the
buses, the kids, to stage them, etc.

I'm not trying to denigrate any of your frustrations,
but if it helps to put some things into perspective,
consider the alternative--tons of school kids arriving
every day and no one knowing exactly who was and was
not coming.  Having to devise a staging area--not too
big because kids get goofy with too much space--to
work them in. And dealing with kids who were lost
because their teachers were so entranced they weren't
paying attention.

And then there were the stories of exhibits designers
in some of the earlier venues, and one of the workers
running through the exhibition and referring it all as
"The Castle" (which I recognize is the home in DC, but
not the halls in LA, KC, NY, Providence, St. Paul,
Houston, or San Jose).

Sorry, just a trip down memory lane.  May not help
you, but the memory certainly helps me--he surely
wasn't big on patience, LOLOL (especially as it
related to having to deal with all those kids).

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a job?  Try:
Check out the REVISED Got Links, your one-stop portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414  Updated 02/14/02