From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 11:06:49 -0700
Deb --

Great idea!  Thanks!

Especially FAQ's (and excuse me if I repeat some that are already there)
could also cover other areas and topics that are not listed, but important
to newbies or oldies on specific topics in more detail or accessibility such
as:

1.  Where to look on the Internet for museum jobs.
2.  What kind of positions are there in museums?
3.  What type of experience must a person have to work in a museum?
4.  What type of salary can I expect?
5.  Samples of resumes and cover letters; available resources on the
internet to help you put a resume together
6.  How to do an interview for a museum position
7.  What sources on the web are available for looking for funding?
8.  The following are individuals on the list who would be a mentor
9.  A list of museums in America (or Canada or Europe) WITH homepages and
street addresses
10.  Salary averages for people working in the museum field (with list of
sites and resources such as "Salary Wizard" at Salary.com)
For example, you put in "curator," what city you want and then another city
you compare it too -- and it gives you averages between
the two.   Then coming to the interview, you have some resources and know
the salary base to start talking wages.
11.  Educational resources for museums
12.  Tips on Grant Writing
13.  Exhibit fabricators and development
14.  Conservation/Preservation issues
15.  Board and museum management issues
16.  The community and museums public image - Public Relations
17.  Branding -- making a name
18.  The small, rural museum -- How to get known and attract visitors
19.  How to develop a simple museum website; tools on the web
20.  Budget and long-range planning
21.  Organizational structure: chain of command at the typical museum
22.   Nonprofit management and the museum
23.  Legal issues for the museum and nonprofit organizations
24.  Networking and Partnerships in the Museum World
25.  Museology vs. education
26.  Is there anyone I can talk to about a specific question on museums
(list of references)
27.  The Executive Director: Leadership and wearing many hats
28.  Tourism: Who is your visitor?
29.  Library, archives (photograph, textile, publications, etc.) issues.
30.  etc.  (I could go on...but don't want anyone to "delete" me.  ;o}

Then as mentioned, when people receive an email from Museum-L, at the bottom
could be a means to "click and go" to the FAQ resources; the seeker could
then look for their subject or question.  All this, again is simply my
humble opinion.....

Too, lister's can also make an individual favorite file(s)----with websites,
addresses, etc.  Put things at their/your fingertips.  I have my favorite
list, but also have various "files" full of pages that provides me more
detailed topics on the subjects above.

Best, John