From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:46:17 -0500
Warning: I am not a labor lawyer and I am repeating policies that
are in effect in Illinois. Labor laws vary from state to state.

First of all, labor laws are not written for specific industries.
There is no set of laws that apply to museums differently than
other office jobs.

Federal laws govern the use of "comp time" and the definition of
exempt versus non-exempt employees.

The short version is: if you're an exempt employee you are not
legally entitled to comp time. The assumption is that--yes--you
are supposed to be able to figure out when and how to accomplish
your job.

The flip side is that you must be allowed to take time off for doctor's
appointments and the like without being docked for the time you are
away from the office--if that time away is less than one full day.

Exempt employees should only be recording time away from the
office in increments of full days.

If you really have trouble with this, perhaps you could consult a labor
lawyer or a human resources professional in your state.

Best,
Diane Gutenkauf