Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 14:06:10 -0400
Michael,

Well said!

Tim

Timothy S. Bottoms
Museum Registrar
Cape Fear Museum
814 Market Street
Wilmington, North Carolina  28401-4731
910.341.4350 x 3011
910.341.4037 (fax)

                    Michael Comiskey
                    <michael.comiskey.um@NI        To:
                    CS.GOV.UK>                     [log in to unmask]
                    Sent by: Museum                cc:
                    discussion list                Subject:     Another perspective
                    <[log in to unmask]        on Flags
                    FT.COM>

                    09/27/2001 01:32 PM
                    Please respond to
                    Museum discussion list

Hi All

I would like to offer another perspective on the whole flag issue.
I live in Northern Ireland. In this country flags *are* controversial
given the nature of our politics and history. In my workplace, as in
almost every other, it is *illegal* to display flags or emblems which
may contribute to sectarian or political intimidation.

In the institution of which my workplace is a part, there are special
rules to allow the display of flags and emblems from the collections
and on loan, but they *are* exceptions. These rules took time to
negotiate between senior management, the trade union representing
employees as well as consultation with the relevant government body.

The only flag flown at my workplace is the union flag. It is
flown from a pole which ensures that hardly anyone would even know
it is there, and then only on days designated by government circular
(the birthdays of the members of the royal family, Europe Day etc.)

I can appreciate that in such tragic circumstances as pertain in the
USA right now, it is idiotic to try and suppress expression of patriotic
feelings as practically everyone there has at the moment. In Northern
Ireland we do not have that ability. Much as things have improved here
over the last few years, we are *not* united.

I hope that the person whose behaviour started this thread has been
told what a petty fool they have been. In the USA you *do* have an
emblem around which you can unite. Please take care that you can
always do so.

My views only, Michael Comiskey
--
Michael Comiskey, Systems Manager, Ulster Museum

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).