From:
Lucy Sperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 21:02:57 -0700
Diane's and other's comments have been right on, but as long as we're on
this topic, I'd like to add a word from the other side of the table. My
story obviously applies to all donors, but the lack of people skills in
this case was especially glaring to another museum professional.

I donated to a state historical society museum a family collection of 15
- 20 items with clear historical significance to that state in an area
of specialized recreation that is not normally saved. I was surprised
and upset not to be treated with courtesy, much less any collegial words
acknowledging my professional understanding of what museums do and how
they do it.

I did as the previous writers suggested: contact up front, wrote out
detailed information about users and provenience of the items, and even
included associated archival materials. Because it was by phone and
mail, so they hadn't seen the items, I added a note that I realized that
not everything might be useful for their collections.

I waited over 3 months for the first contact, a deed of gift which had
the usual wording that the museum could do anything it wanted with the
item(s) and a one line description: "collection of xxxxxx" (nothing
itemized).  With it was a terse form letter to please return
immediately.  There was no indication of whether they expected to be
able to use any of the items for their collection or not. The deed
wording was, of course, standard, but combined with the lack of an
itemized list or any other acknowledgment of appreciation, really made
me wonder if they did not intend to keep any of the items. When I
inquired, I was curtly told that of course they could do nothing with
the collection until I had sent the deed of gift and that I would
receive a list and thank you letter later. (No thanks at that point
either, just an annoyed tone of voice.)

That their process was a little different than what I expected was fine,
though I couldn't help but wonder why the initial deed wasn't sent
sooner (it doesn't take that long to type three or four words on a piece
of paper and address a form letter) and why the remainder of the
process  wasn't explained in the initial letter.  Because I had assumed
that the delay was the time needed to number and process the collection,
I was a little taken back that it took so long to issue a document that
reflected absolutely no processing, and with no clue to the donor that
any further information or thanks would be forthcoming.

To hear, in a real put-down tone of voice,  "this is how we do it, and
*we* do it right"  repeated several times, in answer to a my questions
really didn't make me feel very good about that institution. I was
talked down to, there were no cogent explanations about their process,
no words of appreciation, nor acknowledgment that because I had been
used to a somewhat different process my questions were understandable.

Bottom line: when someone donates to your museum, treat them with
respect, not arrogance.  Let them know up front what your accession
process is, how long it may take and when they can expect paperwork
(deed of gift, etc.). And let them know that you appreciate the gift and
their patience because sometimes things take longer than expected. I've
been on the other side too, and I know that some donors can be annoying,
but this phone call would have been lots shorter and less of this
person's time and angst would have been spent if she had handled my
questions in a less defensive and more up-front and friendly way. Above
all, don't let that 'I'm talking to a really dumb person' tone of voice
ever, ever, creep in. You never know when you might be costing your
museum other components of an important collection. I found that donors
often give a modest donation the first time to kind of test the waters
with a museum, so your positive interactions with them are critical!
(I'm currently debating whether to offer this place additional
photographs on the same subject --I know the stuff is better off
together-- but it's hard to bring myself to contact them again.)

Remember that museum work is 90% 'people work' and only 10% 'thing'
work, and those who go into the sub fields that work predominantly with
things also need to have good people skills.

Lucy Sperlin