From:
Jennifer Legates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 20:33:50 EDT
I am writing to see if anyone has suggestions or contacts about an issue I'm
currently dealing with at my museum.  One of my numerous responsibilities is
overseeing the 150 volunteers at our museum.  Our museum has a railroad
operations department in which volunteers work closely under the guidance of
staff members as conductors, engineers, and trainmen.

My problem:
An elderly volunteer who has worked in the rail operations department for
about 10 years is becoming a safety issue and refuses to acknowledge the
situation.  The staff and I have had numerous conversations with him and have
restricted his duties gradually as his physical capablities have become more
obvious.  However, he is becoming beligerent and makes it seem like we are
punishing him because of his age.  We've offered numeorus other  capacities
in which we need his help- he refuse all of these options.

In many ways this is like handling a parent who refuses to see they should
not be driving a car any longer.  I've tried everything I could think of in
handling the situation. Any suggestions, guidance or others who I could
contact would be a BIG help.  I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance!

Jennifer Legates
Asst Director Education/Volunteer Coordinator
B&O Railroad Museum
Baltimore, MD 21223
(410) 752-2395