Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Shirley S Albright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 12:34:32 -0400
I work for a medium-sized museum.  Because of restrictive funding, our full-time educational staff are people with subject backgrounds in the kinds of objects that we exhibit, collect and research.   That said, however, we have a very active performing arts program AND we utilize
part time educators fairly frequently for special projects that have a theater, music or dance component.   Sometimes these are afterschool programs, summer camps, or weekend family programs.   We also encourage "adjunct faculty" (our name for professionals we keep in our database
of people willing to present or prepare special participatory programs) to prepare new programs that can be given as an augmentation of an exhibit (examples: music/dance related to a mola exhibit, interpretive gallery dance, integration of performing arts with scientific concepts,
etc.).   We even had a Tiny Litter Opera program here once that paired learning about opera and preparing a child's "opera" (theater and music arts) with environmental science and recycling.

I believe a niche exists out there for a person with that kind of creative background.  However, I think she'll have to really "sell" herself and be ready to present tangible proposals about how she could benefit the museum's activities as a whole.

Of course, she may want to spend some time going through a directory of museums to target museums that are based already on some kind of performing arts.   For example,  Country Music Hall of Fame, Liberace Museum, museums with significant collections of musical instruments like
Yale or the Smithsonian, Boothbay Theater Museum, museums with resident artists programs etc.    Even Science and Technology Centers are trying to find new ways to integrate the arts with science.

Hope this gives her some things to think about.   Good luck!

Shirley Albright
New Jersey State Museum