From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 10:02:05 -0400
This started as a response to a question about what museum might like a
family object and as I wrote it, it occured to me that questions like this
come up occasionally and maybe a reader or two might care about what I have
to say.

When offering an object to a museum, I think the first step is to put on
your curator hat and think of all the questions you'd ask a potential donor
about an object. Write a letter outlining all the history you know about the
piece, including the name, birth and death dates, and years and place of
residence of the original owner. Add anything you can find about the object,
including a complete description of the piece, and a fair evaluation of its
condition. Avoid saying that it is in "great" condition, instead describe
places where it shows wear or list parts that might be missing. Include a
serial number or patent information. Describe how you acquired the piece.
Include all the information you can think of about the how object was used,
where and when. Include the name and life dates of other people related to
the object, list their children with their lifedates. If the object is a
family heirloom, bring the family tree down to you. In short, give the
museum all the tools they need to see how the piece fits into the story of
their community.

Remember, museums collect stories about objects as much as they collect
objects. You can make your object more desirable (and useful) by helping a
potential home understand why the object is of historic significance.

I think it is up to those of us in the profession to be especially
professional about potential donations to sister institutions, that includes
providing as much information as we can and not falling into the (potential)
trap of assuming that just because something is old or sentimental, that
"some museum might want this."

Diane Gutenkauf
Manager, Interpretation & Exhibits
The Morton Arboretum