From:
"Ginger M. Young" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 07:14:32 EDT
Susan,

I understand your questions from personal experience. In a previous position
I had the title of Registrar, although it could have been Registrar /
Collections Manager / .... /.... depending on the day!

My primary responsibilities were 1) to keep track of the collection and the
archives on paper (loan agreements and the like) as well as in the database
and 2) the care of the collections (rehousing using more appropriate museum
standards and quality products, handling, storage, etc.). I also assisted
with tear down, prep and installation of exhibits as well as running the
front desk/admissions/gift shop (due to unforseen circumstances). This was in
a small museum. At the time of my employment there were approximately 10
full-time employees and only myself and the Curator of Collections /
Exhibitions in the Curatorial Department.

In my present job, I also have the title of Registrar. My main
responsibilities revolve around keeping track of the collections with a paper
trail and our database. I do have some collections care responsibilities from
time to time. But I am mainly at my desk, glued to my database! So, my
present job is quite different from my previous one. This museum is a large
historic house (a mansion really) with numerous departments and a much larger
staff.

It's not only the Registrar / Collections Manager titles that differ at
institutions. I have found that most Curatorial titles can take one form or
the other with a title that most of us are familiar with. I guess we just
need to make sure we read the job descriptions carefully... but then again,
you never know what circumstances will arise where you will find yourself
seated at the front desk ringing up gift shop purchases!

Regards,
 Ginger M. Young
 Registrar