From:
Lori Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 12:59:55 -0500
To whomever wrote the below quote, A BIG THANKS.  I have been trying in vain
for years to make this point and here you have put it so eloquently.  I
wished I had been able to say this when I was younger. I did not have the
words or the calmness to express my beliefs so wisely then. I hope you don't
mind if I store it in my memory for future use.

I grew up with the "morals police" who decryed how the world was declining
into a cesspool of filth, and that was in the 1970's and 1980's.  I used to
get told my art magazines were pornographic.  Can't imagine what their
response to "Piss Christ", et al., would be. ;0

Lori Allen

"You cannot
separate the intent of the 1st Amendment from the responsibility that
public funding has when it supports the expression of ideas -- they are
inextricably linked and mutually dependent.  If it is protected by the
1st amendment and does not break any existing laws, then it is, defacto,
decent, no matter how "indecent" it may be."