From:
T W Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 08:25:33 -0400
 OK, I'm going to get blown out of the water big time on this one. But I
think it may focus the discussion that Indigo started.
        First: I am not a museum person in any way. I am a metal smith, with a
BS in Business Administration 1970.
        The low pay is not restricted to your profession. ( try being a self
employed artist ) It is a case of perceived value of ones job.
        When a Critical Care Nurse with a Masters has a hard time making the
living wage ( what's a person's life worth any way?) How can you expect
the public to value the keepers of dusty relics that have, to them,
little or no relevance to their lives. ( not being critical here, just
observant.)
        A rock concert performer can make millions, because the people with
extra cash see that person's act as relevant to their life.
        There are just so many dollars to go around ( fewer now then in the
recent past ) and there are very slick promoters who know how to hit the
publics hot buttons.
        Museums for the most part don't hit hot buttons. The public does not
perceive them to be of high value. They will pay $25-$50 for a 2 hour
base ball game ( in which the actual play is less than 5 minutes ( you
can tell I just love professional sports ) But refuse to pay $5.00 for a
day in a museum.
        A solution, Hmmm got me there, I've spent twenty years working on
proving relevance and haven't done it yet.
        But it is not your customer base, wealth of your community ( the
smallest town will find the money for a little league teem ) It is the
perceived value of you and your institution.
        Raise that and you will raise your income.
        OK, I shall go dig my fox hole and await the bomb blasts.

                                Tw