From:
Roy Hemmat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 06:06:33 -0700
Kind and Wise listers ..

I'm in the process of writing an article for a museum publication .. the
topic concerns the benefits for museums in online retailing .. i.e. online
shops.

Under a tight deadline (as usual), and in search of late hour assistance ..
In particular, I am curious about the following:

(1) Demo/Psycho graphics of your online customers. Are they finding you
through search engines? Are sales derived mainly through incidental visits
to your main website? Are you driving online traffic through "take-one"
cards or other promotions to your "real world" visitors? Any other "this is
what our stats tell us" observations?

(2) Did you build your shop through Yahoo stores or other "turn key"
systems? If so, have you found this to be an easy solution, or have
unforeseen "issues" arisen as a result? On the other hand, if you built
your shop in-house, is there SPECIFIC software or outsourcing agencies that
you would recommend?

(3) If you haven't an online shop .. what's been holding you back? Cost?
Fulfillment issues? UBUT or other tax issues? Simply "too many
technological hurdles or hastles" to overcome? etc etc

These are just *some* of the issues I'll be covering in the article .. and
I enthusiastically encourage your words of wisdom on specific issues I may
have omitted .. Reply on-list, or to me, the choice is yours, as is my most
sincere gratitude for your assistance.

Oh! - I nearly forgot. I'd like to feature a shop or two in the article,
possibly as a way of highlighting a particular trend or phenomenon ..
something that other museums might aspire to .. in particular, one that the
"smaller" museums might benefit from .. Soooo, if you have an encouraging
tale to tell .. I encourage YOU to .. volunteer for this "coveted
highlight" ;-)

Roy Hemmat
http://www.museumstuff.com