From:
Phil Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:21:26 -0400
I am answering this from the perspective of the New York State marker program, where we had over 2,800 cast iron markers, about 2 by 3 feet, erected between 1926 and 1940, and since have had close to the same number in both iron and aluminum.

Cast iron is hard to weld, and if you have lettering in the way of the weld, you may lose it. But I have seen some welded back together with success. I have also seen flat iron braces made up to hold broken signs, the configuration depending on the type and number of breaks. But often these obscure parts of the text or generally detract from the marker. It is like putting tape on a torn print.

Aluminum is also hard to repair, but from the sound of the example, I doubt it is aluminum.

Perhaps we need not treat these markers, even the ones 70 years old, as historic objects, and when they break, just raise the funds to replace them. If the original has an early date when it was erected, and you don't want to lose that depth of historic connection, perhaps have a replica cast and indicate the date as "State Education Department 1932 [2001]" Most people will understand what that means.

Philip Lord, Jr.
Director, Division of Museum Services
New York State Museum
Albany, NY
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://www.nysm.nysed.gov/services.html

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/13/01 12:17PM >>>
A large, metal, street-side historical marker in our town has broken into three pieces and we're
trying to figure out how best to repair it (we're in the process of determining what type of metal
it's made of).  Can anyone suggest repair options?  Unsure if it can be glued or welded back
together, we're wondering if the whole marker can be placed into a metal setting with sides and a
back, much like a jeweler might do with a flat gemstone.

Thanks for your assistance!

Marie Demeroukas
Curator of Collections
Rogers Historical Museum