Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 08:54:44 -0500
No one is being disrespectful of the work of this or other similar museums.
They
are simply mentioning "points of humor to lighten the tone".

>===== Original Message From Museum discussion list
>I must express my disappointment that for the second time in recent months
>a posting from the Museum of Sex has elicited a string of puerile and
>unnecessary e-mails from list members making cheap jokes about a serious
>subject. Only Sarah Haldeman has made the point that such museums are in
>fact very well worth studying. I have visited two such museums in Amsterdam
>(the Museum of Erotica and the Venustemple), Ole Ege's Museum of Erotica in
>Copenhagen and the Museum of Erotic Art in Hamburg and could recommend all
>of them. The collections have invariably been impressive, consisting mainly
>of works of fine art covering many centuries and styles from Greek vases to
>digital photographs. Japanese and Chinese art is very strongly represented
>(and it should be no surprise that there is a major sex museum in Tokyo).
>Even the British Museum itself has amassed such a collection and has
>recently admitted the wrongful assumptions that caused it to be concealed
>in a 'secret cupboard' for many years.
>
>The second point is that these museums display their collections in an
>admirable way. I have rarely seen such intelligent mixes of traditional
>objects in cases, audio-visuals, serious information (on topics such as
>venereal disease) and points of humour to lighten the tone. These museums
>have a lot to teach us about varying lighting techniques, extended opening
>hours and highly readable, multi-lingual labelling. You may snigger but
>there is an excellent educational interactive in one of the Amsterdam
>museums where, amongst other things, the visitor can push a button to 'ask
>the price' from a lady of the night. The Venustemple does indeed operate a
>thriving souvenir shop with gifts available by mail order and in plain
>brown paper wrapping.
>
>Perhaps the point I most want to make is that the audiences these museums
>attract are entirely respectable. From young couples to parties of old
>grannies they have all been bristling full of visitors from across the
>social and age spectrum. Other museums recognise this - for instance the
>city museum in Copenhagen now includes displays about prostitution (and
>even helpfully provides a map of present-day brothels in the city - Such
>visitor services!).
>
>Sex is a universal subject crossing all cultural, religious and racial
>boundaries yet it is incredible to think of how many cultural museums the
>world over ignore this subject. Sex influences modes of cultural expression
>but the subject also embraces issues of public health, education, legal
>regulation, policing etc. There's bags of material for innovative museums
>to exploit! I, as a practising Christian and active worker for the Church
>of England, would nevertheless have no intellectual or indeed moral
>objection to working in one of the world's legitimate museums of sex. (Red
> [...]
. You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a
one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the
message should read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the qu