From:
Harry Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 06:31:22 -0400
Hi Deb;

My partner and I also do War of 1812/Rev War naval reenactments. There has
been no lessening of the battle part of reenactments here, inckuding last
month's "Battle of Georgian Bay", the largest reenactment ever to take place
in Canada (four battles and two towns sacked by the licentious American
soldiery)..

The visitors DO like the watch the battles and we who participate in them
have fun, but I have noticed, over the years, that the visitors are far more
interested in the everyday life of people in the period being reenacted.
"Where did they sleep?"; "What did they eat?"; "What does it feel like to
wear those clothes?"; "How do you splice a rope - or carve a spoon - or make
a barrel", etc. It was this level opf interest that drove Sue and I into
becoming part-time freelance interpreters for small museums and historic
sites - she as "The Widow Wilson - Cook for Hire" (open hearth cooking
demonstrations) and me as "The Artful Bodger" (heritage woodworking and
carving".

Perhaps this is what is affecting the reenactments you mention. Or is it
political correctness (war isn't very nice)? Either way, dropping the
battles is depriving everyone of an essential part of the experience.

Harry Needham Consulting Services Inc.
Consulting, training & research solutions
for heritage institutions - and others!
74 Abbeyhill Drive
Kanata ON K2L 1H1 Canada
(voice) +1.613.831-1068