From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 09:22:32 -0700
Since I started the tomfoolery, I will extend the
following to you, Mr. Handley, and any others who
might have taken exception.

I'm sorry your feelings were aroused that caused you
to feel disappointment, anger, whatever.  Feelings are
tricky little devils and, what causes me to be happy
may cause someone else to be alarmed/dismayed, and
sometimes that is simply a byproduct of where a person
is at a specific point in time.

As I heretofore indicated in starting the line of
silliness, the list had been involved in some rather
heady, if not challenging, discussions for some period
of time.  From where I sat, we needed to find some
humor and enjoy our own sense of human foibles.  That
there were so many who chimed in somewhat validates
there was a need for lightheartedness.

Personally, I've sat on this list for three years and
watched the dynamic interactions of this group.  There
are times we are a very cohesive, highly effective
group with a hearty exchange of very solid
information.

There are times the list interactions are few and,
what is offered, from my perspective, is incredibly
boring. It's boring because it's something I
personally don't have an interest in, but there are
segments of the group who do, so it serves its
purpose.  When I'm not interested in the subject
matter, my delete key gets quite a heavy workout.

There is no doubt in my mind that the museum of sex
serves a very effective purpose, and I am convinced it
has much value to the community.  If there are people
here who have answers to the questions posited, I am
convinced they will speak up.

As a matter of patterns, speaking from California
time, it seems the greatest majority of responses hit
in early California morning, probably when the museums
on the East Coast of the US first open, and then
convinced, folks get quite wrapped up in the work of
their entity.

One of the reasons our group seems to do so well is
because we share some collegiality.  It has been times
like this, when we drop the professional shell and
expose ourselves as people, from my perspective, some
of the deepest bonds are made, and the sharing of
critical information becomes easiest.

Lori and I, as you may recall, started out somewhat at
6s and 7s this week.  After a couple of onlist forrays
and some behind the scenes "life talks," we are at a
place of understanding and empathy.  This is not bad
at all.

Again, if the posts hit you at a bad place and/or you
felt compelled to stay completely on-topic, I can
understand your perspective.  Please try to understand
mine that says we are sometimes at our best and we
sometimes function better when we share the
commonality of human foibles we have.

Most of us are wending our way through life with far
too many things on our plate.  A little laughter goes
a very long way.

We cannot always be as ducks on the list (gliding
smoothly, but paddling like hell beneath the surface);
an occasional goosing can be quite effective!

--- Neil Handley <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> I must express my disappointment that for the second
> time in recent months
> a posting from the Museum of Sex has elicited a
> string of puerile and
> unnecessary e-mails from list members making cheap
> jokes about a serious
> subject.

SNIP

> The second point is that these museums display their
> collections in an
> admirable way.

SNIP

I suggest that these
> museums, whilst certainly not
> without their faults, have a lot for dedicated
> professionals to study and,
> as such, merit serious discussion.
>
> Neil Handley MA
> Curator, British Optical Association Museum

=====
Indigo Nights