From:
Jennifer Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 21:40:25 -0400
Hello
I have just started my PhD and am investigating the possibility of
identifying the botanical material used in the construction of Aboriginal
artefacts held in Museum collections in Australia.  For example, this might
include identifying the plant species used to construct spears, shields,
bark containers etc.

I am having trouble finding references to similar studies, particularly
those that relate to the identification of Museum ethnographic artefacts
rather than, say, plant material from an archaeological site.  Can anyone
forward me any references or refer me to any people who may work in this
area, either in Australia or elsewhere?

I would also be interested in references relating to the faunal analysis of
museum ethnographic specimens e.g. ornaments (feathers and shells), strings
(fur and sinews), skins and bone etc.

Regards
Jenny Barker

Adelaide University