From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2001 11:02:23 -0700
Very true, Audra, and glad you included that.  That's
the variable that most cannot anticipate.  Unless you
know the work group to which they are attempting to
attach (or not attach) you, there are some real
variables that rarely get discussed.  How YOU will fit
in with the existing one is one of those that is often
the big secret and something you cannot begin to
anticipate unless you have insider knowledge.

Actually, I had to finish my earlier rant on this due
to an imminent deadline, but it was something I
personally had considered.

Another factor that doesn't often get addressed is
your predecessor.  Something that may be factored into
your hiring may be the personality of your predecessor
and whether (s)he was liked by the group.

Someone who has a strong personality that left on bad
terms is going to be an onus for another strong
personality trying to get hired.  Someone who is
Wilbur Milquetoast who lacked assertiveness when it
was a prerequisite to the job is going to make it
tough on the Nervous Nell candidate who whispers her
own name and is so intimidated by the process she
looks like she's lacking in assertiveness.

Another unspoken is just how much money do they REALLY
have to pay you.  If you come across as high
maintenance with big plans for growth in an entity
that is facing budget tightening and doesn't have good
prospects or has to struggle for every dollar earned,
they may look to another candidate who doesn't.

Now that doesn't mean you have to sublimate your own
needs per se.  You just need to be realistic about
your expectations.

One of the biggest problems in interviewing is that
people often treat the whole experience like a kid who
has been told they're going to Disneyland.  So
excited.  So many hopes, dreams, and expectations.

It's tough to maintain normalcy when you're a job
seeker, but try not to put too much emotional
involvement into the process.  You could be setting
yourself and your self-esteem up for real heartache
which could be the result of factors beyond your
control.

You may have done everything right.  You may have been
one of the two or three wildcard interviewees put into
the package because they boss has already picked
somebody out but, for reasons of looking like an equal
opportunity employer, had to interview three for
appearances sake.

It's tough, I realize.  But understand that, by and
large, we all face these roadblocks overtime.  It's
how prepared we personally are to deal with them that
matters.

--- Audra Oliver <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Unspoken criteria may involve balancing staff
> personalities, agency policies
> beyond the control of the interviewer, and other
> pressures on the hiring
> official. As mentioned by colleagues, the
> interviewer may be in the middle
> of a very bad day.  All the candidate can control is
> herself and her
> presentation.

=====
Indigo Nights