From:
"Mary L. Kirby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 20:29:28 -0500
Hi everyone:
I have been lurking a lot, and answering a few times. Now I need some
help before Saturday. I wish to thank in advance all who may be able to
help with my quest.

Among the standing committees which our small ($35-40,000 annual budget,
1 employee) museum has is a Public Relations Committee. Others include
Fund Raising, Acquisitions, Building and Grounds, Program and Activites,
etc.

The chairman of the Building and Grounds committee is an active emailer
who also spends a lot of time on www.rootsweb.com. He has seen it get
3000 hits since June and he thinks we will be able to do wonderfully well
when we have web pages on rootsweb. He is daily urging the Public
Relations committee chairman to furnish information.

The Public Relations Committee chairman want the group to meet Saturday.
He wants to know from you guys what are usually the defined jobs of a
Public Relations committee. I want to approach them about a new brochure
and the newsletter. (We have no museum classes or guest speakers at this
time to publicize.)

Personally, I think info about the collections owned by the museum should
come (maybe) from the collections committee, the name I want to some day
see be assigned to the Acquisition Committee. We have a collection of
more than 5,000 images from a photography studio which operated from
1897-1951. Some are pretty neat!, most are routine portraits, some are
rejects by the photographer. One board member thinks it has the greatest
potential for income. I think most of the income would be lost if they
ALL were put on the web like the one man wants. (yes, I know I shouted.)
I can see putting the Hays Studio photo of the month on the web, "Can you
identify these people?" type example, but not all.

I attended web design workshops at Texas Association of Museums and had
plan to start with a four or five page design on our own registered site.
We are referenced at three places in the world besides this new site.

Right now the problem is how to define: Public Relations committee duties
of an historical museum board, as well as any other committees you might
reference.

I am also going to go to the NCNB site to see if they have a definition.

I will also be posting this query on CharityChannels.com/Boards.

All help received by Saturday, Aug. 11, will be gratefully appreciated.

Mary L. Kirby
Historic Upshur Museum
Curator
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!