From:
"Ellen B. Cutler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 15:35:47 -0700
Fascination question.  It seems, however, that the issue belongs in the
realm of long-range planning.

First of all, is it reasonable to expect your cafe to function as a local
eatery/watering hole separate from its function as a service for museum
patrons.  If not, then its a service for patrons and the status quo should
be fine.  If it is, however--if your museum is located in a central urban
place with lots of foot traffic, for instance--then what do the number
crunchers suggest about the financial picture if the cafe can be made to
provide significant income (see earlier discussion about non-profits and
income).

Moreover, what is the connection between the cafe and the shop?  Can folks
get into the shop without paying to get into the museum?

Might it be worth it to restructure your entrance (main or side) to provide
access to shop and cafe, but not to galleries?

I would suggest that you look at the  Farnsworth Museum in Rockland, Maine,
which built out into an old store front on the main street of town; or the
Baltimore Museum of Art whose restaurant and shop can be accessed without
entering the museum proper (and I think when the Walters Art Museum reopens
this fall something similar will be the case); or the Currier Gallery of Art
in Manchester NH which effected those changes during a building
renovation/expansion in 1995/6.  I think there is some kind of arrangement
that allows visitors into the restaurant at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts
without paying the entrance fee, too.

As for me, I make heavy use of both places, and I like eating in a museum,
whether or not I go into the galleries, if I can.

But restaurants should be services before they are income producers.  And
when one considers the failure rate of such endeavors in the real world, it
may be wisest to keep the cafe in proper proportion to the institution, the
visitation, and the overall budget picture.

Ellen B. Cutler
LNB Associates: Writing, Editing, Research Services
Aberdeen, MD  21001