From:
Harry Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 05:26:59 -0500
I am essentially in agreement with Cheryl Maslin that writing a business
plan is writing a business plan, regardless of the kind of business.
However, while most of us in the museum biz have some experience in writing
grant applications, the term "business plan" is so overtly foreign that it
chills the blood.

Over the years, a number of useful software programs have been written to
help first-timers prepare a successful business plan. These consist
essentially of a series of word processing templates, usually with sample
text, to make sure you cover all the bases and do so in convincing language.
Also included are spreadsheets for the basic financials, though some of
these, like the "break even analysis" do not always apply to heritage
institutions.

They aren't expensive and they do work. Nine years ago, my teenage son used
one developed by Entrepreneur Magazine to win the contract to run the
miniature train concession at Upper Canada (historic) Village, against a
field of 11 much older and more experienced competitors, including the
incumbent. He still has the contract. The Canadian Museum of Civilization
and the Canadian War Museum issued copies of the same software to all their
managers.

I will say this: it always helps to have (a) knowledge of the heritage
environment and (b) some experience in planning/writing grant applications,
to write a business plan that will succeed for a heritage institution.

It ain't rocket science, but if you don't want to do it yourself, I
shamelessly offer my services. I have spent twenty years in strategic and
operational planning (among other things), the last 10 of which in heritage
institutions. I have reviewed MANY grant applications and written a number
of business plans. It should NOT be a costly job and it CAN be done without
site visits.

Harry

"A little rule, a little sway,
 A sunbeam in a winter's day,
 Is all the proud and mighty have
 Between the cradle and the grave."

                        -John Dyer (1700?-1758)

Harry Needham, M.A., CFE, etc.
President
Harry Needham Consulting Services Inc.
Consulting, research & training services for heritage institutions - and
others!
74 Abbeyhill Drive
Kanata, Ontario K2L 1H1
Canada