From:
Lori Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 21:28:10 -0500
OK!  I very recently given this quite a lot of thought.  As an undergraduate
student:

1) I would have liked someone who would introduce me around to the
professionals in the community and teach me how to "play the game".  I would
have liked straight talk on how hard it is to break in and assistance doing
that.  Frankly, I think that these universities who take our money for 4-5
years really ought to be doing that.  My professors absolutely should have
had the connections to assist me in getting that first job in the community
instead of just telling me to do it or that I was unemployable until I got
the MA.  They should also be positive: realistic, but positive.

2) I would have liked some guidance as to career planning and how to choose
a graduate school and help in knowing what options were out there and
whether I should go straight through or wait a few years.

3) I would have liked some true support, not just academically, but
personally.

NOW, as a graduate student with 10 years of life, business and volunteer
experience:

1) I want my mentor to help me grow as a professional.  Tell me all the
things s/he wished someone had told her/him.

2) I want her/him to help me network thoughout the museum community:
locally, regionally and nationally.

3) I want practical, professional training on the business of operating a
museum.

4) And finally, I want personal support and guidance as to what area of
museum work I would be most suited given my talents and interests.

Lori Allen,
Grad Student, UMSL