From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 22:11:07 +0100
On Tue, 29 May 2001, Ellen B. Cutler wrote:

> The virus that assaulted me is still out there.  Please understand that I have NEVER, that means NEVER sent anything to this list with an attachment.
>
> If you receive anything from [log in to unmask] with an attachment it is positively a virus so deep-six the email immediately.
>
> Again, apologies to one and all.
>
> Ellen B. Cutler
> Aberdeen, MD  21001

=================

Dear Ellen:

Much sympathy.  I recently had an extremely offensive spam, apparently
from a hotmail.com address, so I sent it on to the Hotmail Postmaster.

They investigated and found that it was being sent from some untracable
origin, but showing an apparently legitimate address.  It looks as though
you are a victim of something similar.  However, if you haven't done so,
it would be advisable to do a virus check on your address book in
particular, since that seems to be the place where such attachment virus
mailings seem to originate.

Patrick