Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:03:58 -0800
I'm from Paducah, and I wanted to reply to this (those
of you who know me, have heard this before) so ignore
it.  Paducah, for those of you who don't know, it
located at the confluence of the Tenessee and Ohio
Rivers in Western Kentucky. It was originally settled
by Wm. Clark in the 1830's, saw a battle in the Civil
War, and faced devastation when the Ohio flooded in
1937. As Sharon stated, it has more historical markers
than any other city in Kentucky. In regards to
population , Paducah is dwarfed by Lexington,
Louisville, Frankfort, etc. Most of these historical
markers are of the "On this site stood..." genre,
because a large number of the historical buildings are
no longer standing.  One notable example is the home
of   Lynn Boyd (which is no longer standing). The sign
is present, but a Hardees exists where the house once
stood.  I can only imagine what confused school
children must think when they take a Civil War driving
tour of Paducah, and see the historical marker, and a
Hardees sitting behind it. As I mentioned, I'm from
Paducah, so I think can be critical of my city.   (Mr.
Lowen, If you're reading this, and ever need an idea
for another book, check out some of the signs in
Paducah).  Several are inaccurate. Example #2: A sign
marks the supposed burial location of Chief Paduke,
the Chickasaw who supposedly was the namesake for the
city. Most historians agree that Chief Paduke probably
never existed, and I would be willing to bet that
there is nothing under that sign. It just happend to
be that local legend said he was buried at the corner
of the streets where this sign is located.  Is Paducah
the only city like this? I'm guessing not, since Mr.
Lowen has found enough sites to write a book on.