Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 11:51:25 -0700
Hello Barbara.  When I saw your query regarding music licensing, I forwarded a copy to our studio's general manager, as this is her expertise.  I'm posting her reply to me for your information.  Additionally, she said if you have questions, please feel free to call her.  Our studio number is (503) 273-2273.  Ask for Cathy Saicoff.

Her response follows:
_____________________

There are two kinds of rights a user must secure -- composer's and performance; someone will need to clear both for each piece of music Ms. Batson wants to use in her exhibit.  She (or someone acting on her behalf) needs to investigate who wrote and who performed each piece of music, then find out what entity represents each composer and each performer, then approach each of those entities with information about intended use -- in this case, the licensing entities may want to know things like how much of the piece (10 seconds, a minute, etc.) is being used, specifically where the exhibit is being shown and for how long, whether the exhibit is free or has an entry charge, and whether the exhibitor plans to make and give away or sell copies of the audio.

Leaving this job up to individual venues  would be a nightmare -- you'll never be able to negotiate any kind of reasonable rates, and you'd have to explain this process to someone at every venue and then hope they were willing and able to get it done.  It's also not unusual to be required to submit licensing requests in writing, and then to have several weeks' wait before anyone even addresses your request for information.  Multiply this by many performers doing many pieces of music and clearly there's really no way to do this except to have one entity manage all the clearances prior to the exhibit being assembled.

I have done clearances before, and it's something we could handle for her as part of a production package.  There are also entities out there (clearance services) who handle this specific work for a fee.  If she wants more info I have it.

Hope this helps you out.

Terri Fiyalko

--
1650 NW Front Ave - Suite 110