From:
Kathy Mancuso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 10:01:02 -0400
I would definitely recommend the University of South Carolina's Public
History graduate program.  We offer an MA in Archives, Historic
Preservation, or Museum Studies, as well as a certificate in Museum
Management (the latter can be elected with any graduate degree at the
University).  All three tracks combine methods courses in and out of the
track with historiography courses and a specialization in US history either
pre or post Civil War.  I think there is also coursework and internships
available in documentary editing (not film, historic papers).  Alumni seem
to find good jobs, and the program is large and well known (there was
recently an article on us in Chronicle of Higher Ed).  Internships are
available at various local institutions like Historic Columbia, McKissick
Museum on campus, South Carolinana Library & University Archives on campus,
SC Archives & History Center, State Museum, Columbia Museum of Art, and
more . . . many students go to Smithsonian or other places further afield
as well.  There's also a joint degree program with the library school and a
developing Cultural Resource Management program with the Anthropology
department.  www.cla.sc.edu/HIST/PUBHIST.

Kathy Mancuso

On Fri, 18 May 2001 12:26:00 -0700, Aaron Marcavitch <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I forget if I resonded to this.  I am t MTSU in Mboro, if you need any
info.  Its really in Public
>History (museums, archives, preservation).
>
>Aaron
>--- Anna Fariello <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Dear Adrienne and Jennifer:
>> Virginia Commonwealth University has a graduate program in Museum
Studies,
>> housed within the dept of Art History, in Richmond.  Middle Tennessee
State
>> in Murfreesboro, south of Nashville,  has a program in Historic
>> Preservation.  Both of these are excellent.
>> Anna Fariello
>>

>> Please reply to the list as I am interested in this, too.  I am presently
>> located in E. Tennessee and have a Bachelors in Museum Studies.  Thank
you,
>> Adrienne Marrah
>>

>> At 04:31 AM 5/17/01 -0400, you wrote:
>> >I am looking for recommendations on Museum/Historic Preservation Master
>> >Programs in the Southeast.  Does anyone have any comments on the
programs
>> >offered through North Caroina State or Georgia State?  Are there others
>> >that people would recommend?  I am looking for a well-rounded program
that
>> >is well respected and has good internship programs and job placement
>> >affiliations.
>> >
>> >I have a Certificate through the University of Washington in Museum
>> >Studies, but it hasn't been enough to get a good job.  My eventual goal
is
>> >to work either in a medium sized history museum, a state historical
>> >society, or a state historic preservation program.
>> >
>> >Thanks for any response.
>> >Jennifer
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Anna Fariello, Center for Interdisciplinary Studies
>> Virginia Tech, Blacksburg VA 24061-0227
>>  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Curatorial InSight
>> Box 505, Christiansburg VA 24068
>> www.curatorialinsight.com
>>  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>> Important Subscriber Information:
>>
>> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-
faq/ . You may obtain
>> detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-
mail message to
>> [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should
read "help" (without the quotes).

>> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to
>> [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should
read "Signoff Museum-L" (without