Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 18:52:34 +0100
Paul

I am the Curator of a military museum in the UK and presume the criteria I
would use when choosing staff, both volunteers and full-time would apply to
a US Curator also. Basically what skills can you offer me? I would presume
that someone with a masters would have a basic knowledge of curatorial
practices and procedures in collections management and collections care,
such as registration procedures, knowledge of environmental parameters for
the typical objects found in military museums (which tend to be metal, wood
and leather and often an amalgamation of these), knowledge of conservation
techniques, educational techniques to reach a range of visitors to the
collection being near the top of the list. I should guess that these ideas
would be outside of your fine arts experience so would encourage you to gain
experience in a broader museum context.
Still good look, persevernce is everything.

Paul Connell
Curator
Royal Logistic Corps Museum
Camberley