From:
Christopher Dill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 09:40:22 -0700
I hope this isn't going to be a "size matters" discussion.  I see some implication that "big" museums can NOT provide the level or quality of service which John and I seem to believe is reasonable.  My current situation is 41 structures on 10 +acres on four sites, and 50,000 objects (not including the archival and photo collections).  My prior situation was 10 museums in eight towns, a collection of 1,500,000 objects, and responsibility for delivering museum services to a whole state.   Both institutions qualify as "big" in terms of grant guidelines, AAM's and IMLS's standards, and the like.

And I STILL think it's reasonable to try to answer visitors questions.  Those of you who sarcastically say you don't have time to look up information for visitors certainly seem to have time to read and respond to Museum-L posts.  Odd choice of priorities, IMHO.   We may have to agree to disagree on this one, as you'll never convince me I shouldn't encourage my staff to try   :))))

Chris Dill, Superintendent
City of Greeley Museums
919 7th Street
Greeley  CO  80631