From:
Collin Keel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 11:34:51 EST
We too are a small museum with almost no budget for exhibits.  I think the
only solution is to be creative.  If you have a collection--there must be
some story to tell about the items in it, and usually several stories can
come out of even a small collection.

Also, if there are any other small museums in your area, you may have the
possibility of sharing items.  Keep in mind the insurance aspect of loaning
and borrowing--it may increase your institution's insurance premium.

If you are a small museum, you may also be able to exhibit a private
collection from your community.

Finally, I recommend small museums apply the KISS principle.  "Keep It Simple
Sweetie" means don't stuff your museum full of every thing you have.  Less is
more and will emphasize the importance of items in a small museum. If donors
are offended because their grand mother's butter churn is not on permanent
display, explain it's better for ALL items to be rotated between display and
exhibit for long term preservation.

If you don't have a good computer with a good printer, see if a local library
or school will allow you to print out your exhibit text.

I hope these suggestions help.

Collin Keel, Director
Pioneer Memorial Log House Museum